Friday, December 14, 2012

DTR

Dear Biking,

We have a problem. I don't like you. I need you, but I don't like you. You have many qualities that I value: speed, efficiency, purpose; and yet, I don't like you. You provide me with valuable exercise time and, now that I'm back into podcasts, valuable learning/listening time. You save me money on car costs and you let me brag that I'm "doing my part." People look at me and because of our relationship say "Way to go" or "I wish I could do that." Despite all these attributes, I find myself thinking negatively about you constantly. 

Why is that?

If we hope to have a long, healthy relationship we need to figure this out.

You might be wondering why I'm asking you. This seems like it's my problem and I should be the one who deals with it. But like any relationship, one person's problem is the other's problem as well. Especially in this relationship because, let's face it, you're an activity. A concept. If our relationship ends you cease to exist.

Suddenly this is very much your problem. So I'll ask:

Why don't I like you?
How can we fix that?

Or perhaps I should first ask:

Is this worth fixing?

These are very tough times we're going through. We may not like the immediate outcome, but whatever conclusion we come to, it has to be in my best interest. I'm sorry if that scares you. Just remember, you can't be scared. You're an activity.

Sincerely,

j


1 comment:

  1. The sad part is, I can't just tell you that it's a big sea and there are many other fish out there.

    ReplyDelete