Thursday, January 17, 2013

Cartography...it never hurts to double check.

I'm not a genies, but I used to think I had a pretty good understanding of things here on this rock we call earth.  
Not any more.
I give you, a map where the blue...is land. 


Ok, you're confused. Here is the story: 
 As I was searching for an answer to the anonymous question "who was the first to discover milk from cows," I stumbled upon this article. 
The contents of the article are interesting and allowed me to answer the question to a satisfactory degree. The map, however, troubled me. At first I couldn't recognize what it was. Then I noticed Italy. It was blue. The blue on the map is land! What world is this?
It made me think of this:
In the first episode of Arrested Development Buster is charged with navigating the Bluth's yacht away the pursuing authorities. Using his cartography skills (and trying to avoid a panic attack) he points to a map and proclaims, "obviously this blue part here is the land." Needless to say, they don't get away. Later Michael Bluth, frustrated by his families lack of foresight, mocks his mother's decision to put Buster in charge of their fragile company by saying "Buster, the guy who thought that the blue on the map was land?!"
As an audience member I of course laughed at the absurdity of somebody thinking that any map containing land and water would have the land colored blue.
This picture has rocked my sense of what makes sense on this rock.
Maybe we should all be a little more like Buster.


Oh, here's another kind of Arrested Development. Gooooo 90's!

No comments:

Post a Comment