Enjoy
I ride my bike to school. I’m glad I ride my bike to school. Last year I really didn’t like it. I started off not liking it and even though I changed routes and incorporated different things to make riding more enjoyable (better clothes, better lights, music/pod casts) I never really liked it. I’m very happy to think about my coming bike rides. I still need to get some things for the winter, mostly cold weather gear, but I’m pretty set and happy with my set-up. As I type this I’m looking at my bike in my classroom and I feel like listing the things I enjoy about my bike.
- I like the basket I put on it. It’s an old milk crate. I think this is the best type of basket to put on a bike. It’s ugly, but functional.
- Uh oh, a friend of mine just Google chatted me about a JP Morgan settlement. He’s asking my view on the issue. Am I ashamed to admit that I have no idea what’s going on, or am I proud to admit that I don’t have any idea what’s going on. I’ll take the later. Now I’m thinking about how I’ll have to look this up. But do I look it up first and create a quick opinion…..oh, his second message is a link to the case in case I haven’t heard of it. Ok. So what I’ll do is respond that I don’t’ have a response yet. Then I’ll read over the information and discuss it with Zanny, she’s very helpful at making things clearer…except for when she makes things more opaque. Is that the correct usage of opaque? I hope so. Ok back to talking about my bike.
- I like that it’s kinda a nerd bike. Let me quality. One time I was in a stationary store on mass ave. I was reading a book about bike snobbery. In the book the author listed different type of riders. There was the rider who rides for exercise. The rider that is really a runner but who’s injured so has to ride a bike (ugh). The rider that is just trying to be a hipster. The rider who is trying to shrink his/her carbon foot print. The rider who just rides to commute. And the rider who just rides for pure enjoyment. I am obviously the commuter. They broke down the different type of commuters and I feel into the “nerd” type category. The characteristics were someone who just rides a bike that looks like an old mountain bike that has never really seen a mountain. Basket on back. A bunch of safety lights. A banana seat. Something that the owner has made into pure comfort and utility. Besides the banana seat, that’s my bike!
- I like that, although I’ve had to fix the gears a bunch, my bike is pretty durable and has lasted a good amount of time. My parents bought me the bike when I moved back from California and I’ve used it ever since. I did actually get to ride it on some trails in the ADKS, but it now has road tires on so it wouldn’t be too useful on a trail. The shocks are also completely shot so they wouldn’t help either.
- I like that my bike fits nicely in my class. That is more a nod to my class than the bike, but whatever, this is my stream of consciousness writing.
Actually, right now I can only feel sad and a little regretful at the fact that next year, I will (hopefully) not ride my bike at all and instead I will be running to school. That would be AWESOME!
Well, that’s more than 500 words. This took me just a couple of minutes. I like it. I will definitely do it again sometime.
But for now, I have to get changed and head home on my durable, utility oriented bike.
Bye.
No comments:
Post a Comment